What cannot I use palabos with gas dynamics??

Hi, community.

I want to use a example. I am seeing some examples, and I would like to work cavity2D with gas. I have been to read isoThermalDynamics’ file where says … it cuts out the modes at higher Knudsen numbers and therefore can not be used in the regime of rarefied gases … …

My question is, Cannot I to use the regime of rarefied gases at all cases with Palabos library ?.

Thanks your time and your response

Hi mfduqued ;
Have you figured out how to use Palabos with gas? I need to model gas dynamic as well. Any suggestion would help me ?
Thank you

Hello,
it is not because of Palabos but rather because of the models. As such it is certainly possible to implement models for rarefied gazes in Palabos (which is a completely generic library). You could be the first!

1 Like

Hi Michelle,

only to clarify a bit: with gas dynamics, people usually mean “compressible flows”, whereas rarefied gas dynamics refers to high-Knudsen number flows (i.e. when the molecular mean free path is higher than the characteristic scale length).

Despite this, we use quasi-incompressible lattice Boltzmann to simulate a gas at low Ma numbers. Quasi-incompressible LBM can be used as well to simulate thermal flows under the Boussinesq hypothesis.

To simulate compressible flows (high Ma, high Re) you need a high order scheme for LBM. Regarding the rarefied gas dynamics (high Ma/Re ratio), generally, the standard method is the DSMC. I guess it is possible to use LBM to simulate hi-Kdnunsen flows, but you need to have the right (collision) models to handle it (see for instance https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1209/epl/i2004-10393-0/pdf). This at best of my knowledge. Now, as Orestis said, it would be nice if somebody implements high Knudsen models into palabos.

Cheers,

mars