Reading vti files in Paraview

Hi:
I downloaded the latest version of Paraview but it returns an error when I try and read in a vti file from the bstep3d example directory. The error is:

ERROR: In /Users/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkXMLDataReader.cxx, line 497
vtkXMLImageDataReader (0xf071690): Cannot read point data array “vorticityNorm” from PointData in piece 0. The data array in the element may be too short.

ERROR: In /Users/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkXMLStructuredDataReader.cxx, line 314
vtkXMLImageDataReader (0xf071690): Error reading extent 0 360 0 30 0 30 from piece 0

ERROR: In /Users/berk/Work/ReleaseBuilds/ParaView3/VTK/IO/vtkXMLDataReader.cxx, line 497
vtkXMLImageDataReader (0xf071690): Cannot read point data array “vorticityNorm” from PointData in piece 0. The data array in the element may be too short.

Any ideas?

thanks
Dilip

its ok for paraview V. 3.2. Nothing was wrong.

try it. good luck

Nope, still not working. I get the same error in versions 3.0, 3.2 and 3.3. The original example was run “as-is” , I did not make any changes to it. Also, I am running on a Mac. Anyone seen problems with Paraview on a mac?

Dilip

Older Macs have big-endian byte ordering, whereas OpenLB presumes little-endian ordering. This might be the at the origin of your problem. Have a look at the two last posts of this thread to see how to fix this. We’ll add a more elegant fix to the next release…

Hi, Prof. Latt. I am so sorry for the interuption. I think I came across a similar problem. Recently, I am using Palabos to do quite large simulations (with over one billian lattice cells). Everything works fine when the simulation is smaller (with about handreds of millions of lattice cells).

Paraview complains that “Cannot read point data array “some parameter” from PointData in piece 0. The data array in the element may be too short.” (see the following figure for the error message):

I have tried to use different versions of paraview and different computers (Linux Mint and Windows 10), which unfortunately does not solve the problem. I tried to open the link in your last post, but it seems that the link has already outdated. Do you have any idea what could be the problem? Thanks a lot!

Hi Gengchao,

One things you might want to check, if the file is very large (>2 gb ) make sure you’re using 64 bit version of paraview. And even then unless you’re running the MPI version I think paraview has a limit of 4gb (not sure about this though)

Hello there. Thank you so much for your quick reply and nice suggestions. I have been using the 64 bit version of paraview. Indeed, my file size is quite large (about 9 GB).

I tried to follow your suggestion to run the parallel version of paraview. Although this is the first time I try to run paraview in parallel, the CPU (4 core 8 thread) usage above 90% kind of indicates that the MPI thing is working. However, I came across the same error message when importing the data. So sad!