Consultation from a LBM new learner

Dear friends,

I am a new learner of LBM and I have no whatsoever background knowledge about LBM. I searched quite a white until I find Palabos. I am amazed by this open source project and this active community. Could you please kindly give me some advices on how to start-up? Should I learn more background knowledge prior to use Palabos? I prefer to learn step by step, and learn via doing exercise or project.

Specifically, I want to use LBM to simulate the physical and chemical process of cement particles, which involves the reaction, ions transport, nucleation and precipitation. My supervisor suggested me that I could consider LBM because it can deal with transport and collision(reaction in my case) at the same time.

Thank you very much for your time, and all your replies will be very appreciated.

Best regards,
Frank

I suggest to you to start with a little bit of statistical physics…anyway it’s easy to find on web many information about the LBM.

simone85, Thank you very much for your reply. After seeing the Palabos tutorial video on Youtube, I think I can understand how does LBM use possibility function to represent the macroscopic variables. But certainly I will catch up the statistical physics. As you mentioned, I can easily find a lot of information, which is also quite confusing. So my intention is to consult how to start up the learning process. To fully understand LBM, should I dig deeper the theory root first, or could I start to follow the path of Palabos documentation and implement simple example learning on the go?

I do not have much background knowledge about fluid dynamics, so to understand the equations is already very hard for me. However, my project will only involve the chemical reactions and the transport of ions, thus I do not know if I need to catch up the fluid dynamics since LBM is serving as a promising method epsecially in CFD.

Thank you again for your time, and all your replies are very valuable for me.

Better start with this ebook
Lattice Boltzmann Method
Fundamentals and Engineering Applications
with Computer Codes

Prof. A. A. Mohamad