Upcoming Palabos Online Seminar next Wednesday, July 7th, 10:00 am CET

Dear community

It is my pleasure to announce the next Palabos Online Seminar.

Date and Time: Wednesday July 7th, 10:00 am CET
Participation Link: Zoom link
Speaker: Dr. Philippe Mercier, Université de Caen Normandie
Title: The impact of the seabed morphology on turbulence at tidal stream power sites
Abstract:
The tidal stream power industry is emerging, with a few pilot farms planned to be installed in the coming years. The harvestable energy is concentrated in highly energetic areas, where the streams reach up to 5 m.s-1. These streams are highly turbulent, which has an impact on turbine production and lifetime. The turbulence at tidal power sites must be characterised prior to the installation of tidal turbine arrays. Here, the impact of the seabed morphology on turbulence is investigated through large-eddy simulations using the Lattice Boltzmann Method. The method is particularly suited for this case where the simulation domain involves a large mesh (~10^8 nodes) of uniform spatial resolution. The generation of large turbulent flow structure is reproduced and some specific seabed landforms are identified as turbulence generators.

Speaker Bio:
Philippe Mercier, postdoctoral researcher at Université de Caen Normandie, Laboratoire Universitaire des Sciences Appliquées de Cherbourg. Graduate from ISAE aeronautical engineering school, and doctor from Université de Caen Normandie, my research focuses on environmental turbulence in the field of renewable energies. I use large-eddy simulations to understand the effect of large obstacles on turbulence generation and on the evolution of large turbulent structures, at both laboratory and industrial scales.

Kind regards

Jonas