Plz help a newbie!

Hi
Sorry sorry to ask such a question, but I have really stuck here.

I am on redhat-linux and all I have done is extracted the olb-0.5r1.tgz in a folder. Next I am trying to compile bstep2d.

I end up with the following files after compilation in the directory:

bstep2d bstep2d.cpp bstep2d.d bstep2d.o Makefile tmp

Which one is the result file? The manual does not explain post-processing in detail? Also the manual talks about generating .gif files and .ppm files. I do not seem to have ImageWriter in my machine. How to check if I have ImageWriter?

Also is there a step by step instruction how to get this working? The manual is not really helping here.

Please help.

Hello,

the code is the one without extension (bstep).

In fact you need imageMagick. To check if you have it just type “convert” in a terminal. If you get an error message then… you do not have it.

Post processing can be carried out with paraview. In order to do this, your code needs to output to a VTK file (gif output isnt very useful for post-processing). The cavity2d example contains code relating to VTK output, the method writeVTK is what you should look at.

The manual is not very clear on output/post-processing.

This might also help me…

brucedjones Wrote:

Post processing can be carried out with paraview.
In order to do this, your code needs to output to
a VTK file (gif output isnt very useful for
post-processing). The cavity2d example contains
code relating to VTK output, the method writeVTK
is what you should look at.

The manual is not very clear on
output/post-processing.

Sorry, the cavity2d example also produces files with the same extensions. No .vtk file is created after I “make” it.

I am probably stuck on a step even before what you are talking about.

plz help if you think you know what I need to do from here.

gun Wrote:

brucedjones Wrote:

Post processing can be carried out with
paraview.
In order to do this, your code needs to output
to
a VTK file (gif output isnt very useful for
post-processing). The cavity2d example contains
code relating to VTK output, the method
writeVTK
is what you should look at.

The manual is not very clear on
output/post-processing.

Sorry, the cavity2d example also produces files
with the same extensions. No .vtk file is created
after I “make” it.

I am probably stuck on a step even before what you
are talking about.

I need help guys. Can someone show me a lil direction?

just a little suspicion: after creating the program by typing “make”, do you actually execute it?

No, how do I execute it? Which is the executable file? This is probably the right direction. thanks Adam.

after you “make” cavity2d, and a *.exe file will be produced called cavity2d.exe. Run it with “./cavity2d.exe” from cygwin, the program will then execute, output is saved in the folder “tmp”.

I do not get any cavity2d.exe file after I “make”. This is what I suspected and that is why I post file names that I am left with after ‘make’-ing…

cavity2d cavity2d.cpp cavity2d.d cavity2d.o Makefile tmp

thanks.

These are the what I get when I “make” it. May be it is not compiling.

Create dependencies for cavity2d.cpp
Compile cavity2d.cpp
g++ -O3 -Wall -I…/…/src -c cavity2d.cpp -o /home/sbasak/OpenLB/examples/cavity2d/cavity2d.o
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sbasak/OpenLB’

– Entering src/core (depend)
make[2]: Entering directory /home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/core' make[2]: Nothing to be done fordepend’.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/core’
– Leaving src/core (depend)

– Entering src/boundaryConditions (depend)
make[2]: Entering directory /home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/boundaryConditions' Makefile:86: no file name forinclude’
make[2]: Nothing to be done for depend'. make[2]: Leaving directory/home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/boundaryConditions’
– Leaving src/boundaryConditions (depend)

– Entering src/complexDynamics (depend)
make[2]: Entering directory /home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/complexDynamics' Makefile:86: no file name forinclude’
make[2]: Nothing to be done for depend'. make[2]: Leaving directory/home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/complexDynamics’
– Leaving src/complexDynamics (depend)

– Entering src/complexGrids/mpiManager (depend)
make[2]: Entering directory /home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/complexGrids/mpiManager' make[2]: Nothing to be done fordepend’.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sbasak/OpenLB/src/complexGrids/mpiManager’
– Leaving src/complexGrids/mpiManager (depend)

Your filemanager is hiding file extensions of known filetype extensions, such as *.exe. The executable is the file called “cavity2d”, if you go into folder options and uncheck the option “Hide extensions for known filte types” you will see what i mean.

brucedjones Wrote:

Your filemanager is hiding file extensions of
known filetype extensions, such as *.exe. The
executable is the file called “cavity2d”, if you
go into folder options and uncheck the option
“Hide extensions for known filte types” you will
see what i mean.

I am on redhat linux and I do not know how to do this. God! this is so frustrating. Never ever I came across something so complicated as the running an example problem of a software.

ah ha, sorry didnt realise you were running linux. it should still be the ‘cavity2d’ file. I built and ran a program on ubuntu i made last night, once the make stage is complete, simply type ./cavity2d

brucedjones Wrote:

ah ha, sorry didnt realise you were running linux.
it should still be the ‘cavity2d’ file. I built
and ran a program on ubuntu i made last night,
once the make stage is complete, simply type
./cavity2d

Thanks heaps for that. I have the .vtk and the .gif.
Why are these things not mentioned in the manual I wonder.