Lattice Boltzmann Units Example

jlatt Wrote:

2>

rho_{LB} = 1+1/c_s^2 p_{Phys}dt_{Phys}^2 /dx_{Phys}^2

where c_s^2 is the constant 1/3, which should be
used without units when you proceed to a
dimensional analysis of the above equation.

According to Timm, the conversion factor between P[sub]p[/sub] and P[sub]lb[/sub] is rhop * dxp2 / dtp2, then
P[sub]p[/sub]=rhop * dxp2 / dtp2*P[sub]lb[/sub], so P[sub]lb[/sub]=P[sub]p[/sub]dtp2/(rhopdxp2). Given P=cs[sup]2[/sup]rho,
so rho[sub]p[/sub]=1/cs^2
[P[sub]p[/sub]dtp2/(rhopdxp2)].
I wonder where is the first term 1 of the RHS function Latt mentioned comes from.

Hi.
I’m simulating thermal flow in a 2-d micro-couette using LBM. I have a serious problem with thermal unit conversion in LB.
I want to reproduce the results of the DSMC method in (XIAO-JUN GU et. al. “A high-order moment approach for capturing non-equilibrium phenomena in the transition regime”, J. Fluid Mech. (2009), vol. 636, pp. 177–216. c ,Cambridge University Press 2009, doi:10.1017/S002211200900768X) Part 6. Results and discussion, for thermal-micro-couette flow in the transition regime (namely, Knudsen number Kn>0.1). But I don’t know how to convert the values of the wall temperature (Tw) and the gas constant ® to lattice units.
as we know the sound speed in the LBM is Cs=C/SQRT(3) and C=SQRT(3RT). Then what should I do with the value of the R and T in the calculation of the C.
Please help me. I’m working on my thesis and I’m in a bad hurry.
I appreciate any help in advance.

I have a question regarding multicomponent LBM. What is the significance of the density values we put into our simulations? Are they just indicators (showing which part of a domain is occupied by a certain fluid)?

No, of course not. In reality, two different components or phases may have a quite different density (e.g., water and air much more than water and oil). This is of significant physical relevance since the density ratio can influence the flow dynamics. I believe that, in general, not all properties of a multiphase system can be correctly recovered when the density ratio is wrong.

Timm

Thanks Timm.

I am simulating Co-current immiscible two-phase flow in a 2D channel, the wetting phase flows along the upper
and lower plate while non-wetting phase flows in the center region using SC model.
My objective is to verify my model with the results of:

" Shan-and-Chen-type multiphase lattice Boltzmann study of viscous coupling effects for two-phase flow in porous media"
by Haibo Huang?, Zhitao Li, Shuaishuai Liu and Xi-yun Lu

I am using the same LB kinematic viscosity \nu_{lb} for both fluids (the value is 1/6) and the density of wetting and nonwetting fluids are 1 and 0.1, respectively. After the end of my simulation, I see a single parabolic velocity profile for velocity in the direction of flow {x-direction} which does not account for phase change (density change). In other words, it is just like plotting velocity profile for flow of SINGLE Phase through a channel!!!

Could you please help me on that?

Sincerely,

I think that your result is quite logical. The Navier-Stokes equations for Poiseuille flow simplify to

\rho \nu \Delta u = \rho g

where \rho is density (as function of position), \nu is kinematic viscosity (constant throughout your channel), \Delta is the Laplacian operator, u is velocity, and g is gravitational acceleration or any other homogeneous acceleration (constant throughout your channel). You see that the density cancels and that the result MUST be the same as for a single phase fluid. Only if the kinematic viscosity differs, you would expect a modified velocity profile. You should choose different kinematic viscosities.

Best,
Timm

Thanks Timm for your quick answer.

I am using a constant driving force for both phases (F) and I think applying the Chapman-Enskog expansion procedure to the lattice-Boltzmann equation for multiphase (SC Model), one obtains the following mass and momentum equations
for the fluid mixture treated as a single fluid

(\sum_a F_a )/(\rho) = - \nu \Delta u          a=1, ... ,9      for 2D

where

\sum_a F_a = F_ext + F_{f-f} + F_{f-s}

where F_{ext}, F_{f-f} , and F_{f-s} are momenta contributed by external force, interaction between phases, and interaction of ¯fluid with solid, respectively. [Z.L. Yang et al. 2001]

In this case, density is not canceled out and fluids with different density should have different velocity profiles!

Furthermore, I see some peaks in velocity perpendicular to the direction of flow at the interface between fluid phases ( from Navier-Stokes, we know that it should be zero everywhere in the doamin ). I think this accounts for the existence of F_{f-f} at the interface. But it changes the velocity magnitude at points around that!
Do you know any solution for this problem?

I still think that the density cancels because F is momentum, and momentum is proportional to density. Please carefully recheck your equations and make sure that the difference between force and force density is clear.
Again: For two fluids with the same kinematic viscosity the velocity profile must always be a parabola in the presence of a homogeneous acceleration field. But acceleration is not force and also not force density!

I find it a bit strange that you have a velocity perpendicular to the main flow. Due to the symmetry, this would eventually lead to a compressibility of the fluid. Is your interface flat? It is a 2D simulation, right? Is your system symmetric with respect to the main velocity axis?

Thanks again Timm. You are really helpful.

I will check the equations (I am using Palabos for my simulations).

Yes, my interface is flat and 2D and symmetric with respect to the main velocity axis.

You were right about F, it is proportional to density.

Thanks

Hello

I have difficulties in the installation of Palabos on my computer, I download it and I have the c++ compiler.

is there somebody who can help me?

Hello, could you please tell me where did you get this formula?
nu_{Phys}=dt_{Phys}/(dx_{Phys}*dx_{Phys})*nu_{LB}
Even the dimensions do not match and that’s weird to me !
We have “length^2” vs. “second” (for dt) to be canceled and nu(Phys) dimension becomes equals to that of nu(LB).

Hey, Its been a long time and this website no longer exists. Can you provide another link to this pdf file with conversion information?

Hello,

you can find detailed explanations int this book: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319446479

Hope it helps

1 Like

Which chapter would I find this in?

Would be chapter 7:

Non-dimensionalisation and Choice
of Simulation Parameters

1 Like

Hello, i am preparing an algoritm for natural convection using the LBM. I have a square cavity of 1m * 1m. I have viscosity V_p and Prandtl number(Pr). where suffix ‘p’ indicates in physical units and ‘l’ indicates in lattice units. Now for LBM, i have set dx_l=dt_l=1 lattice unit, so C_l=1 lattice unit. Now i have 100 divisions in X and Y directions, so L_l=100 and also dx_p=dy_p=0.01m.
Now i have somewhere read that the non-dimensional number should be same for lattice units and physical units. In my case the Rayleigh number is 10^5. Now i have assemed the viscosity V_l=0.03 in lattice units. so, the value of alpha_l=Pr / V_l. Now i have found the value of g*beta_l=Ra * V_l * alpha_l / (delta_T * L_l^3).
Now, i want to see the temperature distribution and velocity distribution at a particular time, say 180 s. So, how many iteration i need to be performed?

Hello,
in order to get dt_p you need a quantity that contains time units. Here I guess it’s you viscosity which has units [Length^2/Time]. You can deduce dt_p from the relation

V_p=V_l * dx_p^2/dt_p

Then the number of iteration is iter = 180 / dt_p.

1 Like

Hi,
I failed to open this link.
Can youb help to upload this file?

thanks a lot!

Dear Palabos community;
could you please check my recent question? I really need your help.

Divergence of velocity field for porous media
Many thanks;
Elahe