How to start with porous media simulation ?

Thank You Chris for your post. It is good to know that somebody else is working on this topic. I have come back to simpler problem to become more familiar with units conversion. Moving to 3D case is very simple … loading geometry form file as well. The only problem I see so far concerns units and parameters of simulation. If it helps you I will post my preliminary code.

Cheers
Kuba

Hi,

Does anybody know how to calculate volumetric flow rate or Darcy velocity, and how to convert units in this case?

Cheers
Kuba

Independently which method or code you are using, for porous media flow you should consider interpolated bounce back schemes to maintain second order geometric representation of your sample. Also, you have to consider the permeability dependency from viscosity you can only avoid by using a two relaxation time (TRT) model with so called “magic” relaxation rates. Otherwise your results will be biased by the viscosity you are chosing. You may have a look here:

B. Ahrenholz, J. Tölke, M. Krafczyk: Second-order accurate Lattice Boltzmann flow simulations in reconstructed porous media, International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, 20 (6): 369-377, 2006.

or

B. Ahrenholz: Massively parallel simulations of multiphase- and multicomponent flows using lattice Boltzmann methods, Dissertation, Technische Universität Braunschweig, 2009

Here, you can find validation examples and much more, however, it uses an inhouse code and not OpenLB nor palabos

Best,

Ben

I have above similar question. I want to impart the pressure on the inlet and outlet, for example, 300Pa, but I do know how do,ie pressure in physics convert to lattice unit. Who help me. thanks in advance.

Dear palabos users;

After 12 years from this message; I still have difficulty calculating the volumetric flow rate. I need to plot log(q) vs. log (gradP). Could anyone please help me?

Many thanks