Errors while trying to run tutorial_1_1

Hi
I’m completely new to Palabos.
Today i tried to run Palabos tutorial 1 in my Ubuntu 12.04 terminal. After using make command it made the file tutorial_1_1 to be run (as explained in tutorial link.) But suddenly i faced this strange ugly error message : (I`ve brought the whole error message in order to clarify everything.)

Could you please kindly help me to know what’s wrong and how can i run this tutorial?

Thanx

[[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file ../../../../../../orte/mca/ess/singleton/ess_singleton_module.c at line 357
[alireza-N55:09230] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file ../../../../../../orte/mca/ess/singleton/ess_singleton_module.c at line 230
[alireza-N55:09230] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file ../../../orte/runtime/orte_init.c at line 132
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

orte_ess_set_name failed
  --> Returned value A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user (-127) instead of ORTE_SUCCESS
It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or environment
problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
developer):

ompi_mpi_init: orte_init failed
  --> Returned "A system-required executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user" (-127) instead of "Success" (0)
*** The MPI_Init() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
*** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
*** Your MPI job will now abort.
[alireza-N55:9230] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to guarantee that all other processes were killed!

Did you install this library: openmpi-bin ?

Oh!
That solved my problem.

Many thanx yann :slight_smile:

Hi all,
I am also completely new to Palabos.
I am trying to run Palabos tutorial 1 in my MacOSX 10.8.5.
After typing “make” in the tutorial folder, I get this error:

In file included from tutorial_1_1.cpp:29:
In file included from /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/palabos2D.hh:27:
In file included from /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/core/headers2D.hh:29:
/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/core/plbComplex.hh:69:17: error: 
      reference to non-static member function must be called
    return sqrt(sqrModulus);

The complete log is:

python ../../../scons/scons.py -j 2 -f ../../../SConstruct palabosRoot=../../.. projectFiles="tutorial_1_1.cpp" optimize=true debug=false profile=false MPIparallel=true SMPparallel=false usePOSIX=true serialCXX=g++ parallelCXX=mpicxx compileFlags="-DPLB_MAC_OS_X" linkFlags="" optimFlags="-O3" debugFlags="-g" profileFlags="-pg" libraryPaths="" includePaths="" libraries=""
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
mpicxx -o tutorial_1_1.o -c -DPLB_MAC_OS_X -O3 -DPLB_MPI_PARALLEL -DPLB_USE_POSIX -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/externalLibraries tutorial_1_1.cpp
mpicxx -o /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/algorithm/basicAlgorithms.o -c -DPLB_MAC_OS_X -O3 -DPLB_MPI_PARALLEL -DPLB_USE_POSIX -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/externalLibraries /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/algorithm/basicAlgorithms.cpp
mpicxx -o /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/algorithm/statistics.o -c -DPLB_MAC_OS_X -O3 -DPLB_MPI_PARALLEL -DPLB_USE_POSIX -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/externalLibraries /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/algorithm/statistics.cpp
mpicxx -o /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/atomicBlock/atomicBlock2D.o -c -DPLB_MAC_OS_X -O3 -DPLB_MPI_PARALLEL -DPLB_USE_POSIX -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/externalLibraries /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/atomicBlock/atomicBlock2D.cpp
In file included from /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/palabos2D.hh:27:
In file included from /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/core/headers2D.hh:29:
/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/core/plbComplex.hh:69:17: error: 
      reference to non-static member function must be called
    return sqrt(sqrModulus);
                ^~~~~~~~~~
mpicxx -o /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/atomicBlock/atomicBlock3D.o -c -DPLB_MAC_OS_X -O3 -DPLB_MPI_PARALLEL -DPLB_USE_POSIX -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/externalLibraries /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/atomicBlock/atomicBlock3D.cpp
In file included from /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/palabos2D.hh:36:
In file included from /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/multiGrid/headers2D.hh:37:
/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/multiGrid/gridRefinementDynamics.hh:61:19: warning: 
      binding reference member 'timeCounter' to a temporary value
      [-Wdangling-field]
      timeCounter(0),
                  ^
/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/multiGrid/gridRefinementDynamics.h:76:24: note: 
      reference member declared here
    TimeCounter const& timeCounter;
                       ^
mpicxx -o /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/atomicBlock/atomicBlockOperations2D.o -c -DPLB_MAC_OS_X -O3 -DPLB_MPI_PARALLEL -DPLB_USE_POSIX -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src -I/Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/externalLibraries /Users/Alessio/Downloads/palabos-v1.4r1/src/atomicBlock/atomicBlockOperations2D.cpp
1 warning and 1 error generated.
scons: *** [tutorial_1_1.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.
make: *** [compile] Error 2

Is it something related to the compiler? I have Xcode and the developer tools installed, but I have to admit I am also quite new to c++, because I have mostly worked with c.

Could you kindly help me to solve the problem? I apologize in advance if the issue is a really trivial or stupid one.

Thx,
Alessio

Dear Alessio,

There is a bug which has been fixed, but we have not yet made a release since then, so you will have to go and fix it yourself manually. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Please go to the source file:

src/core/plbComplex.hh

at line 69, and replace “sqrModulus” by “sqrModulus()”. This will let you compile successfully. You will get a few warnings on the Mac (which we have fixed already), but you will have to wait for the next release for them to dissapear.

With best wishes,
Dimitris

That solved everything: now it compiles properly :slight_smile:
Many thanks!

Alessio