cannot create regular file `../../build/generic

hello,
I wanted to try to compile the poiseuille example on my unix system so I changed the line ROOT line with the location of the makefile.inc (for me /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/) but when I try the compile the cpp file I obtain an error.
here is the first few lines of the error display:

arrochar> cd /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/examples/poiseuille2d/
arrochar> make
Create dependencies for poiseuille.cpp
Compile poiseuille.cpp
g++ -O3 -Wall -I…/…/src -c poiseuille.cpp -o /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/examples/poiseuille2d/poiseuille.o
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1’

– Entering src/core (depend)
make[2]: Entering directory /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/src/core' Create dependencies for loadBalancer.cpp cp: cannot create regular file…/…/build/generic/dep/loadBalancer.d’: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** […/…/build/generic/dep/loadBalancer.d] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/src/core’
– Leaving src/core (depend)

Do anyone knows what I do wrong ? sorry if the question has already been answered on the forum, but I already combed it and I don’t think so
best regards
florian

Hello,

Try typing “make clean”, and then “make” again.

hi Jonas !!
thanks for your answer. I am sorry to response back so late, I forgot to click on “follow topic” to receive an email when someone would answer … anyway
I did a make clean and a make again and it gave me the same answer: (I copy past the first few lines of the terminal and the last few line if that can help in any way… )

pctlg12> cd /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/examples/poiseuille2d/
pctlg12> makeclean
bash: makeclean: command not found
pctlg12> make clean
Clean rubbish files
Clean object files
Clean dependencies files
pctlg12> make
Create dependencies for poiseuille.cpp
Compile poiseuille.cpp
g++ -O3 -Wall -I/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1//src -c poiseuille.cpp -o /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/examples/poiseuille2d/poiseuille.o
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1’

– Entering src/core (depend)
make[2]: Entering directory /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/src/core' Create dependencies for loadBalancer.cpp cp: cannot create regular file…/…/build/generic/dep/loadBalancer.d’: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** […/…/build/generic/dep/loadBalancer.d] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/src/core' -- Leaving src/core (depend) . . . . . . -- Entering src/io (compile) make[2]: Entering directory/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/src/io’
Compile parallelIO.cpp
g++ -O3 -Wall -I…/…/src -c parallelIO.cpp -o …/…/build/generic/obj/parallelIO.o
Assembler messages:
Fatal error: can’t create …/…/build/generic/obj/parallelIO.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** […/…/build/generic/obj/parallelIO.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/src/io’
– Leaving src/io (compile)

Build libolb.a:
ar: build/generic/lib/libolb.a: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [build/generic/lib/libolb.a] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1’
make: *** [updatelib] Error 2

I should add that I updated the makefile located in the same folder than poiseuille.cpp by changing the following lines

ROOT := /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/
SRC :=
OUTPUT := poiseuille

after it exist compiling, a poiseuille.o file and a poiseuille.d file appear in the current folder poiseuille2d/ but no poiseuille programme

best regards
florian

Florian,

In your /home/s0925077/olb-0.5r1/ directory, you should create the following directories:

build/generic/dep
build/generic/obj
build/generic/lib

Where I created these directories and subdirectories, I no longer got the ‘Fatal error: can’t create’ error messages.

Hope this helps!

great ! thank you it works now !
best regards
florian